Sat Jul 05 17:10:00 UTC 2025: **News Article:**

**Shelton Fumes as Wimbledon Darkness Halts Match; Finishes Strong on Day 6**

**THE ALL ENGLAND CLUB, LONDON** – American tennis player Ben Shelton expressed his frustration with Wimbledon officials after his second-round match against Rinky Hijikata was suspended due to darkness on Thursday night, just as he was about to serve for the win.

The 22-year-old Shelton had been leading 6-2, 7-5, 5-4 on Court No. 2 when a tournament official informed him the match was being halted. Shelton argued that he only needed “60 seconds” to finish the match, especially since both players had discussed the possibility of suspension earlier in the third set and were told to continue playing.

A Wimbledon spokesperson stated that “due to poor light it was not possible to continue and not an option to move to another court.” Notably, Centre Court and Court No. 1, both equipped with roofs and lights, remained empty.

Hijikata confirmed that both he and Shelton had wanted to stop the match earlier. “We both said to the umpire: ‘I don’t think we’re going to finish this set, I think we should stop now and come back at the beginning of the set the next day.’ ” Hijikata added that the court had become slippery due to the darkness.

Shelton also addressed an incident where an official stepped in front of him as he approached the chair umpire, joking that the official might have thought he was going to get physical.

On Friday afternoon, Shelton swiftly secured the victory in just one minute and ten seconds, winning 6-2, 7-5, 6-4. He now advances to the fourth round to face Márton Fucsovics, a lucky loser whose match was also held overnight.

The incident raises questions about Wimbledon’s policies regarding match suspensions due to darkness, particularly given the availability of covered courts. It echoes a similar situation involving Taylor Fritz earlier in the tournament, highlighting a potential area for improvement in tournament management.

Read More