Fri Jul 04 10:10:00 UTC 2025: **Record Drone Attack Hits Kyiv Hours After Trump-Putin Call Yields No Progress on Ceasefire**

**KYIV, Ukraine** – Russia launched a record-breaking drone attack on Kyiv overnight into Friday, injuring at least 23 people and damaging residential areas and critical infrastructure, Ukrainian officials said. The massive assault, involving 539 drones and 11 missiles, occurred hours after a phone call between U.S. President Donald Trump and Russian President Vladimir Putin failed to yield any progress toward a ceasefire in Ukraine.

Ukraine’s air force reported intercepting 476 of the drones, but the sheer volume of the attack resulted in widespread damage. Residents were forced to seek shelter in subways and underground parking lots as explosions echoed throughout the city.

“Absolutely horrible and sleepless night in Kyiv. One of the worst so far,” stated Ukraine’s Minister of Foreign Affairs Andrii Sybiha. President Volodymyr Zelenskyy condemned the attack as “one of the most large-scale air attacks” the country has seen and pointed to the timing in relation to the Trump-Putin call, suggesting Russia had no intention of de-escalating.

The strikes ignited fires and caused significant damage to buildings, including multi-story structures. Kyiv’s railway infrastructure was partially destroyed, and five ambulances responding to the wounded were also damaged.

This latest assault follows a recent pattern of near-nightly Russian air attacks on Ukraine, with Ukraine’s foreign minister reporting over 330 missiles, nearly 80 ballistic missiles, 5,000 combat drones, and 5,000 gliding bombs launched in June alone.

President Trump, speaking after his conversation with Putin, expressed frustration with the lack of progress on a ceasefire. “I didn’t make any progress with him today at all,” he said. He stated that he intended to speak with Zelenskyy and expressed disappointment that Putin “is not looking to stop” the war.

The attack coincides with the Trump administration’s pause on some weapons shipments to Ukraine, including air defense missiles, citing a review of military spending and U.S. stockpiles. While the pause was not discussed during the call, Putin indicated that Russia would not “back down” from its war goals in Ukraine.

The U.S. has been the leading provider of military aid to Ukraine, but the change of administrations has raised concerns about the future of American support for Kyiv.

© 2025 Cable News Network. A Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All Rights Reserved. CNN Sans ™ & © 2016 Cable News Network.

Read More